Prep Seniors Begin Their Slide… Or Do They?

Prep Seniors Nick Foss and Kevin Stark-Haws contemplate the remainder of the school year.

Regan Mies, Editor

Imagine a class of seniors, reclining on couches in the Fishbowl, Kit-Kats or bags of Sour Patch Kids in hand, not a care in the world.They breeze through the hallways, weightless and laughing, already accepted into their dream college.

That’s how it’s supposed to be, right? Second semester of senior year? The long foretold “Senior Slide”? Well, kind-of.

We’ve heard about the legend of the Senior Slide since we were freshmen. We’ve watched as class after senior class have slowly fallen apart—or wanted to, at least. But when the time finally came for our Slide, I began to notice and interesting combination of emotions within this year’s senior class: guilt, frustration, stress, and denial alongside all those foretold Senior Slide perks.

Of course, it is only February. After three more months of IB testing, college classes, and Ms. Talic’s Prueba Orals, we might be telling a very, very different story.

When I ask what Senior Slide means to him, senior John Martone laughs and tells me, “I get home and think I don’t want to, so I don’t. I try to do the bare minimum.”

Mariah Bruner chimes in, telling me, “This sucks. It just sucks.”

Andy Moen, no regret as he leans back into a Fishbowl couch, says, “Senior slide means hardcore coasting.”

Already, I’m beginning to notice the obvious trend.

In history class, Maura Cofell shares that her personal goal for this semester is to do as little as she can. “But the thing is,” she tells me, sounding tired and defeated, “I still feel like I’m doing a lot.”

Hope Robak and Henry Smith III haven’t simply let go and given up like some. Their intentions, at least, are positive. Hope tells me, “I think yeah, I should try at this! but then it just doesn’t really happen…”

Seniors Christian Brenny and Jack Rogers are wrought with emotion at the thought of three more months of IB assessments and testing.

Henry says, “I’m trying not to slide as much as I can…” He stops talking, but the sense of foreboding lingers, as if a “but” should rest at the end of his sentence.

Magali Seymour is extreme in her opinion: “I won’t, but if I burned this school down, the seniors could roast marshmallows and have a bonfire.”

After four, six, or seven years, I guess some people are just ready to begin writing new chapters to their lives.

As I delved deeper and deeper into exploring the agony and frustration that we feel, as almost-graduated, college-accepted students, I decided to ask Mr. Nydeen if he had any advice for second-semester-seniors.

“Advice? The most successful individuals are the organized ones and those who are still involved.”

“So you’d say the Senior Slide is definitely real?” I continued.

He responded without a shred of hesitation. “Oh yes. Especially after seniors receive that little letter that lets them know they’re accepted. And get this” he adds, with a pointing finger, “—I can always change the recommendation.”

I scribble this note down as horrified seniors gasp around me. Teachers can really do that…?

As exhausted and jaded as we all might be, I’m still surrounded by three-sport athletes, high-achievers, club leaders, student ambassadors, and insanely-committed theater kids. Disappointingly, I think this adds up to the fact that the Senior Slide isn’t all that it’s hyped up to be.