The Winter Olympics, Through the Eyes of SJP Students

Cullin Egge, Editor

This morning, at 5:00 am CST, on Sunday, February 25th, most of us were probably sleeping. In Pyeongchang, South Korea, however, the 2018 Winter Olympics came to a close. This year, there was an undeniably immense media coverage of the games. It seemed there was something incredible and record-breaking happening each and every day! Instead of writing an article covering the memorable events that occured this year, although there would be plenty there to say, I chose instead to feature the voices of SJP students and their opinions of the Winter Olympics.

I asked 40 students of all grades, “What is your favorite Winter Olympic event?” Overwhelmingly, Figure Skating is the favorite: 13 students told me in some way, shape or form, “Without a doubt, Figure Skating.” Next was Snowboarding, with 6 students casting their vote for this thrilling and action-packed event. The excting Ski Jumping and Ice Hockey came after, with 4 votes each. Then, the often comedic curling and luge followed; each with 3 votes. Senior Mariah Bruner said, “Luge! I want to do that so bad. All you have to do is point your toes, and I can do that!” With 2 votes each, Short Track Speed Skating and Alpine Skiing came next. Both fun to watch for sure! Finally, 1 person enjoyed each of the following: Freestyle Skiing, Nordic Skiing, and Skeleton.

I also had the privelage to interview senior Brie Kuhne, who had the opportunity to travel abroad to witness the games first hand. She was in South Korea from Monday, February 5th, to Friday, February 16th; almost two whole weeks! She has been planning this trip for years, saying “My dad asked me back in freshman year.” She said she decided to go because, “It would be [her] first time going back since [she] was adopted.” Her favorite part of the trip was the opening ceremony, she explained, “I’ve always seen it on TV, but in person was a whole new experience. I loved watching all the different countries walking out with their flags and spirit.” Her favorite event was, by far, figure skating. She said, “I loved seeing such amazing performances and passion not only by the athletes, but also the supportive crowd.” She also enjoyed the costumes, music, and synergy the skaters shared. When asked about any memorable stories, only one came to mind: “Being mistaken for being under 12 years old, multiple times!”

The Winter Olympics are a time for the world to come together, despite any differences or conflicts. A time to celebrate humanity and come together as one people. And whether you watched through the television or were there in person, I think it’s safe to say they’re quite fun to watch! There’s definitely something for everyone. The games are reason to celebrate sports, and so much more, worldwide. Now that’s something special. Up next: 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan!