Prep Student Podcast Recommendations

Regan Mies, Editor

If you’ve ever wanted to start listening to podcasts, but didn’t know where to begin, check out the following podcasts, recommended by Prep students! Each of these podcasts can be found for free in the Apple Podcast app, iTunes, or online. Whether you like current events and tech, eerie folklore, comedy-fantasy storytelling, dubious life advice, or moving personal stories, I hope you can find the perfect podcast for driving to school, working out, or effectively procrastinating homework.

Freshman Kelsey Christensen says, “RadioLab is lit.”

RadioLab is a recurring 40-minute show on NPR and an award-winning investigation into music, science, and culture. Each episode is centered around one big idea, and according to hosts Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich, the show is designed for listeners who “demand skepticism, but appreciate wonder.” The most recent podcasts are titled “The Gun Show,” which investigates the modern gun debate after the shooting in Parkland, “The Curious Case of the Russian Flash Mob at the West Palm Beach Cheesecake Factory” about possible Russian infiltration in the 2016 elections, and “Smarty Plants,” an episode asking if you really need a brain to sense the world around you.

Senior Caleb Thompson recommends Lore. “It’s a very good one about the origins of horror-based folklore.”

Lore has 81 episodes so far, and new ones come out bi-weekly. Created by Aaron Mahnke, the podcast is soon to become a TV show. Lore is about “the dark historical tales that fuel our modern superstitions.” Its tagline, fittingly, explains that “Sometimes the truth is more frightening than fiction.” The most recent of the 35-minute episodes are “On the Edge,” about dark moments of biological chaos and major outbreaks, “Dark Imports,” which explores a southern city harboring a violent past, and “Locked Away,” an episode about the lengths one person went to escape a life of pain and guilt.

Sam Hoover, an eighth-grader, told me, “Hello From the Magic Tavern is pretty good.”

The podcast is a 5-star-rated comedy show that’s been running for three years. Its description reads: Arnie Niekamp fell through a dimensional portal behind a Burger King into the fantastical land of Foon. He’s still getting a slight wifi signal, so he uploads a weekly podcast from the tavern the Vermilion Minotaur where he interviews wizards, monsters and adventurers. Each of the episodes has a cast of voices that play new and recurring characters.

Freshman Sofia Bostrom says, “My Brother, My Brother and Me is a really great comedy podcast that I love.”

My Brother, My Brother and Me is another 5-star comedy podcast offering free advice from three brothers: Justin, Travis and Griffin McElroy. There are nearly 400 episodes, and new ones come out every Monday. To give an example of just how random and varied their topics of conversation are, here are some episode titles: “Independence Jumanji 3,” “Diagnosis: Onions,” “Bungrob Squareman,” “Singing to the Bean Box,” “The Mystery of the Seven Parrots”, and “One Great Potato!”

Senior Gabe Woodard added, “This American Life is also pretty good.”

The podcast is a weekly radio show that can be heard on over 500 stations and is filed under the Apple Podcast app’s “Personal Journals” category. Ira Glass hosts the storytelling podcast, which has won numerous major broadcasting awards and can boast nearly 5 million listeners. The most recent episodes are “Five Women: A different kind of #MeToo story,” “In Dog We Trust: Stories of dogs and cats and other animals that live in our homes,” and “Wait—Do You Have the Map? Stories about people feeling lost and trying to figure out how to move ahead.”