Book Review: “Simon Vs. the Homo-Sapiens Agenda”

Noelle Buehrer, Author

I’m sure most of you have heard of the movie Love, Simon, which has captured the hearts of most of its viewers. The movie is based on the book Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, by Becky Albertalli, which I finished reading recently. It tells the story of high school junior Simon Spier who is trying to do normal teenage things, while also trying to hide the fact that he’s gay. The story begins when Simon’s classmate Martin Addison finds Simon’s emails with an anonymous closeted gay guy at school who uses the pen name Blue. Martin screenshots the emails and uses them to blackmail Simon, saying he’ll expose both him and Blue unless Simon sets Martin up with his friend Abby. From there, Simon has to try to maintain his friendships and do well in the school musical, while also trying to come out to his friends and family and discover who this mystery boy is.

In my opinion, the book was absolutely fantastic. It was very relevant to high school experiences today, and has a very realistic portrayal of the LGBT community. On top of that, it has a very gripping plot. There were several nights I stayed up past midnight just because I wouldn’t be able to sleep if I didn’t know what happened next. To make it even better, the book ranges from absolutely hilarious to heart-wrenching to extremely dramatic, and it really makes the reader really feel what the characters feel.

My opinion isn’t the only one you will be hearing in this article. I got a chance to speak with freshman Sofia Bostrom, who also read the book and gave it a fantastic review. She is one of the people who read the book after seeing its movie adaptation, Love, Simon. She said she figured the book would be either okay or way better than the movie, and she believes the book has more relationship development. As I mentioned, Bostrom saw the movie as well and thinks it definitely did the book justice. I have not yet seen the movie, so I’ll have to take her word for it. She told me her favorite character was Bram, the lovable soccer player. He was fun, friendly, and a cool dude. Next, I asked her if she thought the book could be improved in any way, and said she thought it didn’t need any improvement. It was very accurate to real life LGBT experiences, and it had some fantastic and well-developed characters. Lastly, I asked how she would promote the book and her words were: “You wanna support gay rights? Of course you do!”
All in all, Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda is an amazing book, and I would encourage anyone who has not read it to change that now.