New Beginnings Music Playlist

Cullin Egge, Editor

Change. You can smell it in the air and feel in in the hallways. Stress and procrastination are at all time highs for some, and, for others, the opposite. These feelings and experiences come around every year, but for seniors, it’s different. It’s not only that Spring has sprung, but also that we will be leaving this place and going off to who knows where, doing who knows what.

It’s almost guaranteed that the people we have spent so much time with over the years won’t be seen again except for maybe at reunions or other similar events in the future. We are turning an entirely new leaf, and are faced with the struggle and excitement of starting all over in somewhere completely new.

Whether staying around St. Joseph, Collegeville, or St. Cloud; going abroad to Italy, Guatemala, or Spain; or anywhere in between, the Class of 2018 has big plans. In spirit of all the change and new beginnings ahead, I decided to create a playlist of sorts to help those of us caught up in our feelings lately feel even more reminiscent. I’ve included song titles, descriptions, and favorite verses.

This playlist has brought up some great memories, and really made me stop and try  to take this all in – before we move on and it’s gone. We don’t get to chose what we remember, but we do get to chose the memories to cherish and recall the most. These songs have helped me with that, and I hope could possibly do the same for you.

• See You Again by Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth
    • No matter how many times this song plays, it will always make me emotional. It’s so meaningful, and speaks so much truth to our lives in this period of transition.
    • “So let the light guide your way, yeah / Hold every memory as you go / And every road you take / Will always lead you home”
  • Feels Great by Cheat Codes ft. Fetty Wap & CVBZ (EXPLICIT)
    • This song is very reminiscent of the past, as we remember all the fun, dumb stuff we’ve done throughout high school and our youth.
    • “Do you remember how it feels to be young? / Do you remember? / We could be anyone”
  • Am I Wrong by Nico & Vinz
    • This song embodies the feelings of independence and individuality we all share at this point in our lives, and the sense of taking our lives completely different directions and being totally okay with it.
    • “Hope you don’t look back, always do what you decide / Don’t let them control your life, that’s just how I feel”
  • Young Dumb & Broke by Khalid
    • I simply enjoy listening to this song as a last hoorah for senior year, just living life as it comes and enjoying it no matter what.
    • “We’re just young, dumb and broke / But we still got love to give”
  • Crazy Kids by Kesha (EXPLICIT)
    •  Another song to express the carefree mindsets going into the future, while still reminiscing the memories we’ve shared.
    • “This is all we got and then it’s gone / You call us the crazy ones / But we gon’ keep on dancin’ till’ the dawn”
  • Good Times by All Time Low
    • This song captures the bittersweet feeling of moving on; happiness for exciting new opportunities and saddess for not seeing anyone as much anymore.
    • “I’ll hate the goodbye / But I won’t forget the good times”
  • Photograph by Nickleback
    • Despite the memes, this is actually a quality song about the fun times we’ve had and cherishing them forever, as well as the bittersweet feelings of happiness and sorrow amidst all the changes.
    • “It’s hard to say it / Time to say it / Good bye, good bye”