SJP Knowledge Bowl Team Heads To State!

Miranda Curnutt

The Saint John’s Prep Knowledge Bowl team, having received second place in Regionals, headed to Brainerd on Wednesday of last week with coaches Charles Miller and Jen Daiker to compete in the State Tournament. The team of Tina Chen ’19, Hanna Haeg ’19, Caitlin Skahen ’19, Cormac Smith ’19, and Lukas Uhlenkamp ’22 had performed strongly all year, oftentimes going head to head with SJP’s main rival, Sartell High School (Sartell would win second place in Class AA at State). The State Tournament was full of tension–a well-done written round had SJP starting out in fifth place, but tough competition had them dropping down to room three for the second round. However, the team performed strongly for rounds three and four and found themselves in room one with Hawley High School and Minnesota Valley Lutheran High School for round five, just one point ahead of the fourth place team, Glencoe-Silver Lake High School. For the team to win a trophy, they would have to out-perform both the seasoned knowledge bowlers in room one, and the close-behind Glencoe. Which, luckily, is just what they did, winning room one and securing the third place finish in Class A. MVL received first, and Hawley received second.

The KB team is happy with their third place finish, with Cormac Smith describing it as “kinda incredible,” given their head-to-head defeat of the first- and second-place team. Captain Tina Chen remarked that the team worked really well together, and ended up where they belonged, given the first two teams strong performance. After the well-fought tournament, the team ended up staying an extra night at Brainerd due to the weather conditions, where it is reported they ended a successful day of competition playing board games by the pool.